5 Tips for Dealing with Social Anxiety
Social anxiety can be crippling. It can seem like it’s ruining your life if it gets really bad. You’re unable to enjoy time with your friends and loved ones. You’re unable to be at ease around new people. You may start relying too heavily on alcohol and medication. It can be a real problem.
Luckily, there are a few things you can try that will help you to cope with your social anxiety. Here is a list of a few things you might want to try.
1. Try therapy. Therapy is a great thing. Licensed professionals who really understand the condition of social anxiety will know how to work with you and help you to start to heal your social anxiety. There may be underlying mental issues that are causing your social anxiety, and a professional therapist will be able to help you work through them.
2. Start meditating. Meditation is a great habit for anyone to get into. It can greatly reduce stress, depression, and anxiety. It is most effective if you find a meditation schedule that really works for you every day. Try different guided meditations that are available on the internet.
3. Start a gratitude list. Sometimes anxiety can really be helped by taking the time every day to look at the things that you are grateful for. Did you wake up in a bed? Do you have running water? Do you have heat or air conditioning? Is there food in your refrigerator? Think about all of the things in your life that you have to be grateful for.
4. Find some safe friends. When you start to feel really socially anxious, it’s good if you have someone you can text or call who will tell you it will all be okay. It’s even better if you can take this person with you to social events so that you feel better.
5. Try medication. Medication should not be overused, and it should be a last resort. However, medication like Xanax and Valium really works wonders for some people when it comes to anxiety. Consult your therapist or psychiatrist.